Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

3W 85 Twin Cylinder With Unusual Problem.

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W 85 Twin Cylinder With Unusual Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 08:10 PM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 3W 85 Twin Cylinder With Unusual Problem.

I got a 3W 85 Twin Cylinder With an Unusual Problem.
I am bench running it. I just rebuilt the carburetor. The problem was exactly the same before the carb rebuild.

It will start easily when cold after I choke it, but within about 20 to 30 seconds begins to sputter and one cylinder stops running. The one cylinder will fire intermittently and then stop. It runs for about 10 seconds more with only one side firing and then quit. I cannot get it to start after that.

I have checked the ignition and both plugs fire nicely. The ignition battery is charged. I have tried multiple variations in needle settings but the problem remains the same.

Fuel tank is brand new and flows free without bubbles in the line. Fuel tank is fine.

Any ideas?
Old 02-23-2017, 06:15 AM
willig10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thinking out loud. Does your crankshaft move forward and aft when running? If it does I wonder if maybe the hall sensor is not picking up the signal to command the spark plug to fire. I would also check the mounting bracket to ensure it is tight as well and not moving due to vibrations etc.

if all all else is tight and good another thing to check is the spark plug boots and ensure they are seated correctly. Also make sure the spark plugs are not "as equipped" plugs. If the plugs are good and the gaps are good also if the hall sensor is tight and no other issues are found, I would suspect the ignition module may be breaking down internally. As a last resort you might just send it in to 3W or just decide to give it to me I have a Ziroli that is crying for one. Haha

good luck.
Glenn
Old 02-23-2017, 07:36 AM
Cashpoboy

I suspect the ignition too. I am going to swap it out with a DA-100 module I have. If that works then we will know. The plugs are CM-6 and look good. I also checked the reeds and they both look good and sealed and still flexible.

Last edited by Cashpoboy; 02-23-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:14 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

If swaping the ignition does not help , I would look at the carb isolator to check for loosenes ,cracks or leaking seal /gasket . Sounds like it may losing it's ability to pump fuel due to possible air leak .
Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cashpoboy
I suspect the ignition too. I am going to swap it out with a DA-100 module I have. If that works then we will know. The plugs are CM-6 and look good. I also checked the reeds and they both look good and sealed and still flexible.
Have you checked the cylinder to crankcase gaskets? maybe you are loosing base compression after the short runs. How long after the engine quits will it be before it will start again? After it quits, are the spark plugs dry or wet or sooty when you remove them? good luck.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Cashpoboy

It thought about that too. I am going to change ignition module first, then try another carb, then will look for leaks. One thing at a time and try to isolate this booger. When it first runs, it sounds great like it is good to go and then the sputtering starts. It is an older engine so it could very well be seals. It may be a few days before I can run through the list of possibles. I will keep you all posted as I try each one.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM
Cashpoboy

Spark plugs were different. The cylinder firing looked good and dry no soot. The one not firing was very wet. That just sounds like ignition to me. We'll see.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:31 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

99% Ignition is bad... been there with 3w before. IF you ignition battery is good, the next thing to do is swap the plug wires. If the dead cylinder moves with the ignition lead you rule out a lot of other stuff. As i recall the old style 3w pickup will drive a da ignition - cant remember but i think the wiring order for the sensor needs changed in the plug..

Last edited by 2walla; 02-23-2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 12:37 PM
Cashpoboy

Thanks for info. I have not got around to swap yet, but will post results when I do.
Old 04-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Cashpoboy

OK, tried to swap with DA ignition and could not get a spark. Not sure if I had it wired correctly. Anyhow, I put the old ignition back on the engine and started it. It runs and sounds great for about 5-10 seconds and then one side stops firing and then it quits. After it quits, I cannot get a sputter out of it. Is is flooded maybe?
Frustrating as all get out. I have the carb screws out 1.5 to 2.5 turns each. Is this too much?
Maybe it is flooding. I will try to screw them down to just barely open and see what happens. If the carb is starving, then I can prime the carb and if it continues to fire, I will know it is a mixture issue. Also, one more thing. I am running it upside down with the carb facing up. Is this a concern?
Old 05-08-2017, 08:42 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

did you ever figure out your problem?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:58 AM
Cashpoboy

Not yet. It is on the back burner for now. I am working on other projects.
I will begin posting again when I get back to it.